Medway 20 KGS 14 (London 1 South) 19th October 2019

Medway took on the Old Boy’s side in the first ever fixture between the two sides. The game kicked off in dry, breezy but good underfoot conditions. Medway played into the breeze in the first half and their injury hit side suffered an early setback after just 7 minutes when Zach Garratt was forced from the field with a hamstring injury.  On 13 minutes the visitors opened the scoring with a well executed catch and drive drive and with the conversion led 0-7. That lead was extended after 27 minutes when a missed tackle saw the visiting open side crash over under the posts for another converted try and a 0-14 lead. Medway’s cause suffered another set back when Luke Burns was also forced to leave the field with a hamstring injury.  Medway were forced to re-shuffle with captain Tom Beaumont moving to the centre. Christian Hechter and Max Bullock entering the fray.  KGS continued to look the sharper side and a dangerous attack was only thwarted by an early Sam Garofalo tackle without the ball which saw him sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes.  Despite being down to 14 men the Medway scrummage was starting to dominate their visitors. Ross Cooley, Bill Sandison and Alex O’ Leary were providing the home sides pathway back into the game. On 38 minutes the scrum dominance paid dividends when having conceded a series of penalties at the scrum on their own line the referee inevitably awarded Medway a penalty try to make the half time score 7-14.

The second half kicked off and Medway buoyed by the late first half try took the game to visitors pinning them back. A box kick by the KGS scrum half was well fielded by Max Bullock, he offloaded to Jordan Stubbington who broke his markers tackle and fed Antony Clement who in turn gave it to Orris and although tackled short popped the ball up for Captain Tom Beaumont to score. Dan Harvey converted and Medway were level.  Medway were now dominating proceedings and field position, Max Easton, Antony Clement and Alfie Orris particularly prominent.  The field position pressure saw scrum and breakdown penalties given away by the visitors resulting in a yellow card for a deliberate knock on and kickable penalties which Harvey knocked over and put Medway ahead 20-14.  If anyone thought the game was a forgone conclusion with the turnaround were mistaken. The Old boys are a talented outfit and continued to play their brand of rugby stretching Medway time and again. The Old Boys cause was assisted when following injury and another yellow card the scrums became uncontested providing them with a platform that Medway had previously taken away from them.  However there was no further score in the match but in fairness Medway had to defend almost 20 phases on their own line in the last 10 minutes to eek out a victory against the visitors.

Medway coach Taff Gwilliam side “We are delighted to have secured victory against a talented, well organised side especially given the number of injured players we have missing”.